Former England cricketer Andrew Strauss banned for one game over allegations of sexual abuse
NEW ZEALAND (AP) Former England international Andrew Strauss has been banned for two Tests for sexually abusing a minor boy.
Strauss was given a two-match suspension and a two week ban by the England and Wales Cricket Board on Friday after the board found that the 25-year-old was guilty of misconduct in a professional manner.
The decision was announced at the end of a three-day hearing, which included the board chairman, Stuart Lawless, and Strauss’s lawyers.
Strauss had pleaded not guilty to the charges.
The ECB said it would appeal the ruling.
Strauss is one of England’s most successful players.
He has made more than 30 Test centuries and is the leading run-scorer in the history of the Test game.
He had played with England for four years between 2008 and 2012 and was an England captain when the 2008 Ashes series was won by the New Zealand side.
The board had earlier ruled against the case, saying that Strauss had committed misconduct by making inappropriate sexual comments to a minor and engaging in sexual activity with him while he was a professional cricketers partner.
He denied the allegations.
Strauss, who is from Warrington, was England’s top-scored spinner for the last five years of his Test career.
He was also a key member of England in the recent World Cup, playing five Tests and three T20Is.
The England team also lost three players to injury.
Lawless said the suspension would be effective for a minimum of two weeks, with the full length of the ban lasting six months.
Strauss will not be able to play again in 2017, while his legal team will be appealing.
He played a key role in England’s 2015 Ashes win over India.